There are a few signs that can mean mold is growing somewhere in your home. Having allergic reactions such as constant sneezing, sore, and red eyes could be signs of mold in your surroundings. If you are not sure, go to a doctor and get tested. That way you can know what is causing all the symptoms.
Smell of molds
In a lot of cases, mold starts to grow in places people can’t see. It can be hidden in places such as the back of the wallpaper, drywall or panelling. Sometimes even inside walls near pipes that are leaking. People usually fix the problem with the pipe and stop the leaking but the forget about the wet walls and then mold starts to grow inside the walls where people can’t see it. Then the smell that is accumulated in those walls starts to go around the house after some time. When you smell it the first time, the best thing to do is to call us. Our team of experts with advanced equipment will find out where exactly the smell is coming from and terminate it. People are usually making the mistake of not calling professionals and trying to find the source of smell by themselves. That could lead to more damage for example, if you detect smell coming from the wallpaper and try to remove it, a huge amount of spores will release into the air and can spread around the house.
Don’t ignore signs of mold
Sometimes people tend to ignore visible mold because it is small and they think there will be no harm, but they are wrong. If you do not act immediately it can grow very fast and spread all around the place.
If you had any water leaks in the past you should call us to inspect your home just to be safe. Nobody wants their family to live in a home that is exposed to mold. Sometimes if you are buying a house and you know that the house has been flooded in the past, there is a high chance that mold started to grow in some places of the house. Usually, basement is place where water remained the longest and has the highest chance of mold growing.
The important thing to do after removing the mold from a house is to make sure that it was thoroughly terminated. If not, some mold spores that stayed can later on, grow into mold again. If you want to remove it by yourself there are some tips that can help you along the way. We do not recommend to do this by yourself, it is always safer if you let professionals handle it. But let’s say you are dealing with small amount of mold and you think you can remove it by yourself these tips will help you.
Get the proper protective equipment
Before you start doing anything first you have to make sure that you have everything you need to protect yourself. Your health is most important. If you notice you’re having an allergic reaction please avoid contact and call us to remove it. Here is the list of equipment you need to protect yourself: dust filter mask, gloves, goggles, disposable protective clothing that covers the whole body. Filter mask is important because when removing mold, spores are in the air and a good filter mask will help you not to inhale any spores. Gloves and goggles are pieces of equipment that you must have to protect your eyes from spores and they prevent you from directly getting in contact with the mold. Protective clothing that covers your body is optional. Depending on how severe the problem is.
To prevent the mold returning the safest thing to do is to create a negative pressure during the remediation process. That is important because that is the only way you can get rid of the spores in the air. To create a negative pressure you need to have an exhaust fan, positon it to blow air out of the window that way all the spores that are stirred up should end up outside your home.
To safely remove mold from different surfaces there are different solutions you can use. The most popular one is bleach. It is extremally fast but it produces fumes so you have to properly ventilate the room you are using it in. if you are not comfortable using bleach you can try out one of these: borax, vinegar or ammonia. Also when working with these solutions don’t forget to wear protective gloves.
Removing or cleaning your belongings
If you have mold problems on some non-porous materials you are in luck. Non-porous materials like glass, plastic or metal can be easily cleaned and used again because there is no mold below the surface. Sadly for porous materials, they can’t be cleaned a 100% and you need to decide whether you want to keep it or not. In some cases when mold had enough time to grow there is nothing you can do to save it and in those situations when the item is not valuable to you, the safest thing to do is to dispose of it. If you keep an item that had severe mold growth on it don’t be surprised if it starts to spread all over your house again.